This cake is made up of whole wheat flour and wheat germ. It contains a lesser amount of calories than any other normal cake. Your family is going to love it, especially with creamy butter icing.
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup FoodThink Toasted Wheat Germ
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice (about 2 1/4 cups), divided
- Start eith re-heating oven to 350° (180° Celsius). Grease the baking dish. You can select round shaped baking pan for this cake. Now prepare cake topping, Take a small bowl combine together brown sugar, cinnamon, sliced apple and lemon juice. Mix them well and put it aside.
- To prepare batter of cake, beat butter and sugar, then add eggs one at a time, mix well. After that add oil, vanilla and milk and beat again till smooth.
- Now in a small bowl; Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, wheat germ and salt. Mix in 2 cups of apples.Whisk until mixed well.
- Pour this mixture into prepared pan and spread evenly. Top with sliced apples (do not press down), sprinkle cinnamon sugar mix on that. Bake for approximately 50-60 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Remove the tray from oven and let it cool on a wire rack. Now serve the warm cake with cream icing.
- Adapted from www.anitalianinmykitchen.com