Prepare Godhi Chutney Podi with Wheat Germ, the most popular chutney used in South Indian homes. This can be taken with rice, chapati, dosa, idli or almost anything and wheat germ makes it a healthy source of intake. For all those spice lovers along with health consciousness, this Godhi Chutney Podi with wheat germ is surely going to be a hit.
Serve the Godhi Chutney Podi along with steaming hot rice topped with ghee or sesame oil. It makes such a perfect comfort food.
- 1-1/2 cups toasted wheat germ/whole wheat germ
- 5 whole red chillies
- 2 sprigs of curry leaves
- 2 tablespoons jaggery
- 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 cup dry desiccated coconut (copra)
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon asafoetida
- 1 small lemon size tamarind
Directions for Godhi Chutney Podi Recipe
- To begin with the godhi chutney podi recipe first get all the required ingredients handy.
- Place a heavy bottomed pan over medium heat, dry roast the whole wheat in batches until you get a nutty aroma. This takes about 8 to 10 minutes. Otherwise you can directly use Toasted Wheat Germ.
- Once done, remove from the pan and keep aside.
- In the same pan, roast the dry coconut for about a minute until it turn warm and crisp and the moisture goes away. Take care not to allow it to turn brown once done, remove and keep aside.
- Next, heat a teaspoon of oil, add the fenugreek seeds and allow it to crackle. Once it crackles add the chilies and roast until it is crisp and finally add the asafoetida and curry leaves and roast for a few more seconds.
- Now turn off the heat and allow all the ingredients to cool till room temperature.
- Once cooled, we will first blend the wheat germ in the mixer grinder until you get an almost coarse powder. Add the remaining roasted ingredients along with the tamarind, salt and jaggery into the jar of the mixer grinder and blend to make an almost smooth powder.
- Once done, check for salt and spices and adjust to suit your taste. The Godhi Chutney Podi is ready. Store this podi in the refrigerator and use it as required.
- Serve the Godhi Chutney Podi along with steaming hot rice topped with ghee or sesame oil. It makes such a perfect comfort food.
Adapted From www.archanaskitchen.com/godhi-chutney-podi-recipe-wheat-germ-south-indian-spice-powder